Monday 2 May 2011

My favourite place in the whole world...

....is the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.  The 500 acre park is in West Yorkshire and is an amazing mix of nature and sculpture.  The landscape changes with the seasons and the exhibits are also changed so that there is always something new to discover.  The park includes four indoor galleries where you can learn more about the featured artists.   

I'm lucky enough to live just a few miles from this gorgeous place and am a regular visitor.  I never tire of walking the grounds and am so inspired by the artists' work on display.  A glorious bank holiday Monday was an opportunity not to be missed so we took a picnic and enjoyed a few hours in the sunshine admiring the new exhibition of work by the Spanish sculpter Jaume Plensa.


Much of the work displayed outside was in metal and formed in words or letters. 

These huge heads changed as you circled them and viewed them from different angles.








 I particularly liked this view from below with the brilliant blue sky seen through them.











There was then a huge seated figure.  Again, I love the brilliance of the sky against the silver-coloured metal.  

















And the shadows cast by this were fantastic too.












And my favourite message from the exhibition:




Hope you're enjoying your day wherever you are.





6 comments:

  1. oh I'm so envious - I really want to visit there - I love big sculpture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a neat place! I LOVE the letter piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your photos with us - those heads are completely amazing! Your captured them really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos - and that park sounds amazing. J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an inspiring place to have near u. i have checked the links on my blog and they are working so not sure why u couldnt get in. thanx for stopping by,
    Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Thought I'd pop by and say hi!
    Love the sculpture garden, and your pics are wonderful against the blue sky. I love Yorkshire. Have spent several very happy holidays around Middleham and hope to revisit again soon.

    ReplyDelete